Test

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Cutting Glass

So I experimented today with trying to cut glass... specifically a wine bottle! Let's just say it didn't go quite like the directions said. Here are the directions on how to cut a bottle.


How to make glass from a glass bottle: wrap a piece of cotton string 5-6 times around the item you want to cut and tie it. Slide it off and soak it in acetone. YES... the stuff that takes your nail polish off! Place the string back on the bottle where you want the break to happen. Be near water, just in case! Ignite it. Yes it will flame up. Let it die down. After that, the place where the cord, immediately under cold water. Smooth the edges with sandpaper. If you don't get it the first time, don't despair. Just drink a lot of wine so you have extra bottle to practice on. I wouldn't recommend drinking and doing this project though! 

Sorry I don't have a pic of the blanched attempt to cut the bottle. It really did work, I just think I let the flame burn for too long and the bottle cracked around the rim. That was my second attempt at trying to cut the bottle. I tried 3 times and then started to make the house stink. So I will make another attempt in a few days and not let the flame burn for as long. But I promise to myself that I am going to get this to work as I have some get ideas for what I work like to do with the glass!



No comments:

Post a Comment