Test

Monday, March 26, 2012

Bathroom Renovation - Part 1

Happy Monday All:

Sorry I have been absent these past few days. I am in the middle of a MAJOR bathroom renovation! Yeah and Boo... Plus and Minus!! There are so many ups and downs ALREADY to this project. The yeah... I get a new bathroom... the boo... I have to knock out a WHOLE bathroom! This reno consisted of a FULL GUT JOB!! So guess who thought she was going to have fun with a sledge hammer... ME! Fun... not at all! My house was built in 1964 and things just weren't built the same as they are in today's time. They were built to withstand everything and I think they just mixed stuff up to make thin-set. Because that thin-set wasn't so thin!! It was actually over an 1 inch thick... then it had wire behind that. Oh yeah remember there is a tile you have to bust as well. The kicker the WHOLE bathroom is tiled!! I thought it was only going to take 2-3 hours to demo the bathroom... WRONG... can you say 12 hours... yes you read that right 12 HOURS!! 12 hours of blood, sweat, and tears. Yes there was some blood, a lot of sweat, and I had a melt down when I got done with the bathroom this morning because my body... mostly my hands hurt so bad. And on top of that I got had about 6 hours of sleep in 2 days. So not really my prettiness moment. 


Doing this demolition thought me a lot though. Withstanding pain and pushing through when all of really want to is quit... is really just mind over matter. This morning when I was staring at the floor that I needed to bust out... I really just wanted to call it quits. I had to take a few breaths, say a prayer and just go in! I took each area that I got done as an accomplishment and made small goals for myself. The prize for completing the goal... a break for lifting the sledge hammer! And when I was finally done at 6 am... all I could do was say THANK YOU... I MADE IT... AND I FINISHED!! 


But let me just say I will NEVER bust out a bathroom that was built before 1980's and never had a reno before. Naw not going to do it!! If its after the 80's... I'm all in and I will take on any room that is mostly sheetrock. 


So here are some pics of the before and during pics and will post some more during and after pics and let you know how this journey goes. I can already tell you cleanup doesn't look like its going to be much fun either!!


The vanity area. That mirror was really low... it was like in my chest. This use to be my granny's house and she was 4'11 and she put the mirror up so just she could look in it. Because I sure can't.

The toilet area. This was the beginning of my demo!

The inside of the shower. NASTY!! So happy to see it gone!

The back of the bathtub. See the big crack?!

Got all the tile ripped out of this part. Tedious process as I had to make sure I didn't bust any pipes!! We already had one water issue going on.

See the wire... Yeah was still struggling and really didn't see the end in sight!!


I was actually able to get this wall to come out in one piece, BUT because of the weight we had to break it down because we just couldn't carry it. It would take an army to move it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment